susys running away to sea

"The rigors (sic) of an expeditionary lifestyle"

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Last Post - or is it?

Yesterday - Monday 25 September - J and I scrubbed Fortune down, removed a few more things, and tidied up.

In the evening we went to Somerville, Mass, north of Boston, to a house concert. Where Jim Payne and Fergus O'Byrne from Newfoundland are playing. J wears his Newfoundland teeshirt. There is a Newfoundland flag outside the house. And I trace our journey against the map pinned to a door inside. The names of the towns and Jim and Fergus's songs fill my head with picture clips of our summer sail.

Today, Tuesday, I have to say goodbye to J's mom, and finally to J, as he drops me off at Providence station, where we first met four months ago. We hug. And hug again.

'Goodbye, till next time,' he says.

Yes, next time, of course.

I catch a train back to New York, then back to New Jersey, to stay with my brother and sister-in-law, till I catch a plane to London this coming Monday. My brother takes me to see the Philadelphia Flyers ice hockey. Crowds and roaring noise and bright bright lights. It's been a summer of contrasts.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:59 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Journeys end must be bitter sweet.
    Following this blog has become a daily ritual, particularly after meeting earlier in the summer. What I am going to do when it ends?!

    Have a safe trip back to Blighty, stay in touch and visit again!

    Alan

     
  • At 6:06 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm crying! Ray XX

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home