susys running away to sea

"The rigors (sic) of an expeditionary lifestyle"

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

And what did YOU do in the war, Grandma?

I got home the other day to find two invitations from Zia (10) and Ebony (7) to share my wartime reminiscences, along with a bunch of ole codgers, over tea and cake at their school. I was invited because I am the oldest person they know...

I duly turned up, to be greeted by eager young faces clutching clipboards and pencils, awaiting memories from the ancient past ...

'What did you think of the blackout? Were you frightened about going into a bomb shelter?'

Oh, the falling of young faces, when this fraudster had to admit to being too young to have been in the war.. I couldn't bear the disappointment, and raked up a few (post-war) memories of ration books, fuel rationing (err, Suez, actually, but shhhh).

I did manage to scrape together a bit of cred - astonishing the small people with the fact that I'd managed to grow up without DVDs, Playstations and most incredible of all, that basic staple - NO television!!!!

But my favourite of all must go to the eager little chap who could barely keep his excitement under control, asking if anyone in my family had died in the war .........





Sweet innocence, lacking the knowledge and implications.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:46 pm , Blogger Raybelles said...

    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh GORGEOUS!!

    And what do you mean about 'build' 3 dogs in the above post?

     
  • At 8:57 pm , Blogger susyrosy said...

    An AWFUL lot of fur! Enough for three dogs' worth ...

    mum xxxx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home