susys running away to sea

"The rigors (sic) of an expeditionary lifestyle"

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

To The Lighthouse (Part 2)

Still Monday 7, sun is shiny, wind is extremely blowy and out in the distance on the end of a headland is the pretty lighthouse we sailed past yesterday. J still unwell, so to let him sleep it off, I'm going to walk to the light. 3 miles, I guess, but undulating. They dont have pavements here - well, yes, they do - that's what the tarred roads are called. They dont have sidewalks here, I mean! Just gravel on the edge of the roads. Depending on how brave I am and how much traffic (ha ha) there is, I walk on the road. And jolly pleasant it is. Views are stunning across Bonne Bay entrance (the big bay, off which Rocky Harbour is a smaller bay), waves breaking over rocks, sea dark green. Half way along, out of the town, is a small wooden house, overlooking the bay - I wave to the people on the porch - would I like to live there!

At the lighthouse, I am about to be charged various sums of money to walk along the trails here (it's part of Gros Morne National Park), so I get a mean fit, and say I'm just looking, then sneak down a bit of a path to photograph the lighthouse. I think the lady there was surprised to have a walker. On the way back, a cute squirrel ran across the road, chittering loudly at me to buzz off and dont disturb. I'm just thinking I might take up walking as a hobby, back to nature, all the things people in cars miss eg squirrel abuse, when 3 bikers go by - and I fancy being a biker instead. Butterfly mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home