susys running away to sea

"The rigors (sic) of an expeditionary lifestyle"

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Broody hens and a piano

They're sitting on the cuckoo's eggs I bought through ebay! A week and a half now, only a week and a half to go. They're both crouched in the tiny laying area of the hen house, and fluff up and squawk when I check them out.

I'm also registered with this hen forum: http://forums.thepoultrykeeper.co.uk/index.php who have been very helpful when I have hen problems, but who are very slightly nutty. They have hen-based avatar names, coo over the females, commiserate over losses and deaths, but ruthlessly destroy all males ... I think they're mainly women.

The other two hens (non-broody) are still roosting in their tree at night and I thought they'd stopped laying, until Tim found three eggs in among the honeysuckle. He's been using up surplus eggs by making quantities of very garlicky mayonnaise, so I was rather pleased to find the eggs. I thought I was going to have to go back to buying them. Heaven knows, keeping hens is a luxury, by the time you've bought the house (£250) and the food £6/bag. The hens themselves are pretty cheep, as I only ever have the rejects from Tim's friend's father's flock up the road.

It's yet another example of my doomed efforts at economy ... the other most recent one was having to get an electronic keyboard (£90) to justify the expenditure of 50p buying a teach yourself the piano book rom Lily's playschool fete.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:35 am , Blogger Raybelles said...

    I love your justification of a 50p book with a £90 keyboard.

    I just bought a printer/scanner/copier combo in case i might need it for the new job i might have.

    I am getting my haircut tomorrow at great expense because what was the point in spending so much on highlights when the cut is bad?

    And I bought some picture hooks and had some left over which of course need highly costly artwork to hang on them.

    But at least I know where I get it from!!

     
  • At 4:39 am , Blogger Raybelles said...

    Oh I've just found the BEST example of this:

    We're looking to buy Boo's first car seat. The one I want has a whoopy doo Isofix glue-your-baby-to-the-back-seat-forever system.

    As this system is so new, only a few (read 'snazzy, new and therefore highly expensive') cars have the Isofix connection bits installed in them.

    Hence the purchase of £200 baby seat requiring the additional purchase of a £20,000 car!

     
  • At 8:22 am , Blogger OceanCruiserWannabe said...

    When are you going to update your blog? You're worse than me!

    ;-)

     
  • At 2:48 pm , Blogger susyrosy said...

    I just might be able to beat you, Ray - contemplating spending 100000 euros on a boat in France instead of hiring a boat for holidays ...

    Oh and OE - I can take a hint...!

    mwah darlings!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home